Vegetable Poha is a popular breakfast and evening snacks recipe. This snack is made in central and western states of India, each with a different style. While the Maharashtrian style is made with potato, the Indori style is uses vegetables only to garnish. The one we are making today use a lot of vegetables. I wouldn’t relate this to a particular region, it has been evolved a lot.
I will post other types of poha recipes over the next few weeks. Also see another poha recipe – How to make Chooda Matar Banarasi Style.
Ingredients Used for Making Vegetable Poha:
- Flattened Rice – 4 cups, thick ones (Chooda or Poha)
- Onion – 1 bowl, finely chopped (pyaz)
- Capsicum – 1 bowl, finely chopped (shimla mirch)
- Boiled Peas – 1 bowl (matar)
- Carrot – 1 bowl, finely chopped (gajar)
- Green Chillies – 2 pcs, cut vertically (hari mirch)
- Ginger – 1 tsp., finely chopped (adrak)
- Tomato – 1 pc, finely chopped (tamatar)
- Lemon – 1 pc- squeezed (nimbu)
- Curry Leaves – 12-15 pcs (kari patta)
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp. (rai)
- Refined Oil – 2 tbl. sp.
- Salt – 3 tsp. (namak)
- Black Salt – 1 tsp. (kala namak)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp. (haldi)
- Corriander Powder – 2 tsp. (dhania powder)
- Red chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp. (lal mirch)
- Black Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp. (Kali mirch)
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing (dhania patti)
- The Peanuts – 1/2 bowl (moong fali)
Stepwise procedure to make Vegetable Poha or Chooda Pulao Recipe:
1. Keep the Poha over a strainer and wash it properly under running water and keep it aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, check if Chooda has softened. Else let it aside a little more.
2. Take oil in a kadai and put it over a gas stove. Let the oil warm. Add Peanuts to the oil and stir fry it till Peanuts become golden brown in colour. Remove it in a bowl and keep aside.
3. Add ingredients for tadka in the kadai i.e. rai, hari mirch, adrak and kari patta to the remaining oil.
4. Add finely chopped onion to tadka and stir fry for 2 minutes.
5. Now add carrot and capsicum to it and sauté it for some time. Then add chopped tomato to this.
6. After sometime, once all the vegetables are half cooked, add all spices i.e. salt, black salt, turmeric, coriander powder, red chillies, black pepper powder and garam masala to it and mix it well .
7. Masala for the vegetable poha is now ready. Add chooda and peas to it. Add lemon juice according to the taste. Mix everything well.
8. Empty the poha in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves and Peanuts.
9. We can garnish the vegetable poha with Bhujia sev and finely chopped onion. Serve hot Vegetable Poha with green chutney.
Important Tips For Vegetable Poha Recipe
- Use medium thick poha, not thin.
- Make sure the poha does not get too soggy while soaking.
- You can add chopped potatoes also in this recipe. Though that will increase carbs content of this recipe significantly.
- Use any oil or ghee, whatever you use for regular cooking.
- Do not garnish too early, else the peanuts and Bhujia sev will losing its crispiness.
Leave a Reply