Rice Kheer is the most common Kheer in North India and known as Payasam in South India. Rice Kheer is a common Indian dessert made in every home. Ingredients used to make Rice Kheer is readily available in every Indian household so it is easy to make. Kheer can be made of many base ingredients like, Makhana, Sevai, Sabudana etc. though Rice Kheer is most common and popular.
Rice Kheer Recipe with step by step photos:
Rice Kheer is a popular dessert from India.
- 1 litre Milk
- 1/4 cup Basmati Rice (chawal)
- 5-6 tbsp Sugar
- 5-6 pcs Cardamom (elaichi)
- 4-5 pcs Saffron (kesar)
- 4-5 pcs Almonds (badam)
- 4-5 pcs Pistachio (pista)
Take 1/4 cup Basmati rice and wash it properly under running water. Soak it in 2 cup water for 30 minutes.
Soak 4-5 pc saffron strand in 1 tbsp milk and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes. After 10-15 minutes crush the soaked saffron with mortar and pestle.
Take 1 litre milk in a Kadai and put it on gas stove on low to medium gas flame. Let it boil.
Drain off soaked rice and add it to the boiled milk and stir it with spatula.
Keep stirring the kheer at small intervals. Let the rice get cooked. It will take 25-30 minutes.
Kheer will get thickened. Add 5-6 table-spoon sugar and 5-6 pc cardamom powder. Mix it well.
Add finely chopped almonds and pistachio. Keep few for garnishing as well. Chawal ki kheer is ready to be served.
Garnish it with some finely chopped almonds and pistachios. Serve hot or chilled.
Step wise Procedure to make Rice Kheer
- For Rice Kheer Recipe, we will start with soaking 1/4 cup Basmati rice in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Soak 4-5 Kesar strands in about 1 table-spoon milk for some about 10mins. Then crush it into fine paste with mortar and pestle.
- We will take 1 litre milk in a Kadhai and put it on gas stove. Switch on the gas stove. Let it boil on low to medium gas flame. This will take about 5-7mins.
- Drain off soaked rice and add it to the boiling milk. Stir it with spatula.
- Stir it occasionally. Let the rice get cooked. Milk will get reduced and thickened in this Rice Kheer Recipe. Cook it for around 25-30 minutes.
- When the milk has thickened, add 5-6 table spoon sugar and 5-6 pieces cardamom powder. Mix it well.
- Add finely chopped almonds and pistachio nuts. Keep few for garnishing while serving.
- Rice kheer is now ready. You can Serve hot. Alternatively, you can cool and store in the fridge and then serve chilled.
Important Points to be noted in Rice Kheer Recipe
- We can add any nuts of our choice like cashew nuts, pistachio, almonds. And also raisins.
- Keep stirring with a spatula occasionally. Otherwise Rice Kheer will get stuck to the bottom and smell and taste burnt.
Leave a Reply