Matar ke Paratha or Peas paratha is a great winter recipe. Since peas are a seasonal vegetable that makes it all the more desirable. Fresh peas are a little sweet so that makes this stuffed paratha recipe also sweet. We have to add a lot of spices to make the stuffing a little spicy and reduce the sweetness of this paratha. Matar paratha is best served with Kadhi and tomato chutney. Curd is also a good option to be served along with matar paratha but since this is a winter speciality, cold curd is preferred less.
Matar Paratha recipe with step by step photos.
Matar Paratha Recipe is an Indian breakfast recipe made up of Whole Wheat Flour dough stuffed with spiced fresh green peas filling.
- 2 bowl Fresh Green Peas (matar)
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pc Finely Chopped Green Chilli (hari mirch)
- 1 inch Finely Chopped Ginger (adrak)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp Salt (namak)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)
- 1 tsp Corrainder powder (dhania powder)
- 1 tsp Black Salt Powder (kala namak)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Mango Powder (amchur)
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tsp Salt (namak)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1.5 Cup Water
First take 2 bowl fresh Green Peas and wash it properly.
Take 1 tsp Oil in a Kadhai and put it on gas stove on low to medium gas flame. Let it warm.
Once the oil is hot add pinch of Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds, 1 pc finely chopped Green chilli and 1 inch ginger finely chopped. Stir fry.
Add washed Green Peas to it. Add spices i.e. 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp black salt and 2 tsp sugar. Mix it well and cover it with a lid. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
Once green peas is cooked, switch off the gas stove. Let it cool.
Mash the green peas stuffing with hands or put it in a jar and roughly grind it. Don't grind it too much.
Finally, add 1 tsp Mango powder and adjust the salt if required.
Take 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour in a mixing bowl.
Add 1 tsp salt to it and mix it well with hands.
Start adding water to it slowly at small intervals and knead it into a dough. Don't add too much water at once.
Make a soft and smooth dough.
Cover it with a bowl or a muslin cloth. Keep it aside for 5-10 minutes.
Take small portion of dough and roll it between your palms and then press it gently.
Take the flattened dough roll over a rolling board and sprinkle some flour over it. Start rolling the dough in circular direction with rolling pin to make about 5 inch diameter disc.
Apply some oil or ghee over the rolled disc and put green peas stuffing in the centre.
Fold the edges of the rolled disc to seal it with hands. Press it.
Start rolling the stuffed dough again with rolling pin over the rolling board in circular direction. Roll it till 8 inch diameter disc.
Heat tawa on medium flame. Once the Tawa is hot, put the stuffed rolled dough on it.
Cook it for some time. Once it is cooked partially, flip it and let the other side get cooked. In the meantime, apply some oil or ghee on the partially cooked side and then flip it and apply oil or ghee on the other side. Press it with some spatula gently.
Again flip it and press it with spatula till golden brown in colour.
Remove it from tawa and serve hot with curd and pickle.
Repeat the process for rest of the parathas.
Stepwise Procedure to make Matar Paratha:
For making Green Peas stuffing:
- We will start with preparing the stuffing for the paratha first. For this, take 2 bowl fresh green peas and wash it well in running water.
- Take 1 tsp oil in a kadhai and put it on gas stove on low to medium gas flame. Let it warm.
- Add pinch of Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 pc finely chopped green chilly and 1 inch finely chopped ginger to the hot oil and stir fry it.
- Add washed fresh green peas and dry spices i.e. 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp black salt. Mix it well and cover the Kadhai with a lid.
- Let it cook for 5-10 minutes. Once green peas are cooked, switch off the gas stove. Let it cool.
- Mash cooked green peas with hands or roughly grind it in a mixer. Don’t grind it into smooth paste, keep the peas a semi-crushed.
- Finally, add 1 tsp Mango powder. Taste the stuffing a little and adjust the salt if required. We need mild spicy taste. The dough will make the spiciness even more lighter, so adjust accordingly.
- Green Peas Stuffing is ready.
For making Dough:
- Take 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tsp salt and mix it well.
- Start adding small amount of water to knead into a dough. Don’t add excess of water otherwise dough will become sticky. Add water only when it is required.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the dough and knead it again to make it soft and smooth.
- Cover the dough with a cloth or with a bowl and keep it aside for 5-10 minutes.
For making Green Peas stuffed Paratha:
- Take the dough and knead it again after resting period. Dough will be soft and smooth. Take a small ball of dough and roll it between your palms and press it in centre.
- Sprinkle some Whole Wheat Flour on it. It will help in rolling the paratha smoothly without sticking.
- Start rolling the dough on the rolling board with rolling pin to make it 5 inch in diameter.
- Apply some oil or ghee and put some green peas stuffing, that we prepared earlier, in middle.
- Take the edges and start making pleats and join all the pleats together in centre. It has to be joined properly otherwise filling will start coming out while rolling. Press it from centre.
- Sprinkle some flour over the stuffed dough.
- Again roll the stuffed dough with rolling pin to make 8 inch diameter round disc.
- Heat the tawa. Put the stuffed round disc on the tawa when it is hot.
- Let it cook. Once one side is cooked partially flip it with spatula and apply some oil or ghee. We should start seeing brown spots on it.
- Again flip it. We will see brown spots. Apply oil or ghee on the other side.
- Press it with spatula till it is golden brown in colour and both sides are cooked properly.
- The matar paratha is ready now. Repeat the process for the rest of the dough.
- Serve hot Matar Paratha with curd and pickle. You can store it in a casserole to serve it later as well.
Important points to be noted in Matar Paratha Recipe:
- Dough should be soft and smooth otherwise it will be difficult to roll the stuffed dough. Stuffing will come out of the dough.
- Fresh Green Peas will taste best. During winters we get fresh green peas which is sweet and works best for making Matar Paratha. Avoid frozen peas.
- Green Peas stuffing should not be sticky otherwise it will give you a hard time to roll. We can add little bit of roasted gram flour(besan) to control the moisture of the stuffing.
- Green Peas Stuffing should not be hot or be warm while stuffing. It should be cool at room temperature. It will be easier to stuff this way.
- If you find adding all the spices to the recipe overwhelming than you can use the stuffing of a red chilli pickle as a substitute.
- The stuffing if made into fine paste will help you roll very thin paratha. If you keep the peas semi-crushed the paratha will be thick. I have made thick matar parathas in this recipe.
Leave a Reply