Jeera Cookies is a popular cookie that goes well with tea. It has an Indian taste made with a combination of sweet and salt. Everyone has sweet childhood memories associated with Jeera Cookies. As compared to Kesar Pista Cookies, this costs lower as there are no costly nuts.
Jeera Cookies Recipe (Eggless) – Ingredients Used
The following ingredients are for approximately 20 Cookies.
Prep Time – 20 mins.
Cooking Time – 20 mins.
Total Time – 40 mins
- 1/2 cup salted butter (100gms)
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour (Maida) ( about 200gms)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Roasted Cumin (jeera) – for mixing in the dough and for sprinkling.
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoon milk (mildly warm)
Stepwise Procedure to make sweet and salty Jeera Cookies Eggless (Cumin Seed Cookies):
- We will start making Jeera Cookies with the creaming process. Take butter and sugar in a bowl and start mixing with the help of spatula till it is soft and fluffy.
2. We will now add all the dry ingredients i.e. Salt, Jeera, Baking soda, Baking powder and Maida (Flour) to the mixture prepared in step#1. Then we will mix everything with our hands.
3. Now as our dough is too dry to roll, we will add 2 tablespoon of warm milk to the dough. This will help moist the dough to roll.
4. We will sprinkle little bit of maida over a flat rolling surface so that our dough does not stick to. Now we will take a part of our dough and start rolling it over the flat surface with the help of the rolling pin. We need to roll very gently, up and down. After this, we will sprinkle little bit of roasted jeera over the rolled dough and press it gently with the help of the rolling pin.
5. We will now start cutting our jeera cookies with the help of cookie cutter. In the meantime, we can pre-heat our OTG or Convection microwave to 160 degrees for about 10 minutes.
6. Now we will put jeera cookies one by one onto the cookie tray with the help of spatula or knife.
7. Now our jeera cookies are ready to be baked. Keep the cookie tray into the oven for around 20 minutes at 160 degrees. You may increase or decrease the baking time depending on our taste. If we want dark and crisp cookies we need to make it more.
8. After 20 minutes our freshly baked Jeera Cookies are ready. But wait, it’s not ready to eat we need to allow them to cool for some time so that it becomes crisp.
9. We can now enjoy freshly baked jeera cookies with tea or coffee however you like.
Important Points to be noted in this Jeera Cookies Recipe:
1. We need to keep an eye on the color of Jeera cookies while they are getting baked as might get over baked. It generally happens in the second batch of baking as the oven is already heated.
2. Dough for the cookies needs to be rolled very gently so that it does not crumble.
3. The cooking time mentioned above 20mins is for 1 batch. Since my oven can fit limited number of cookies, I had to make it in 3 batches, that increased my overall cooking time. You can see if a larger tray fits in your microwave. Generally, the tray that comes along with the oven is small than what can fit in it.
4. We can give different shapes to the cookies but make sure the thickness is even so that it is evenly baked.