It’s that time of the year when we shift our focus from the Indian Gulab Jamuns to the western world cakes. We are trying the very basic Vanilla Cake today. This is going to be a eggless version of the standard Vanilla cake that we have. This recipe will work as a base for any other cake that we make.
Ingredients used for Eggless Vanilla Cake:-
Prep Time – 20 mins.
Cooking Time – 40 mins.
Total Time – 60 mins
- Maida – 300 grams (approx. 2 1/4 cups)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp.
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp.
- Butter – 100gm (1 stick)
- Powdered Sugar – 2 tbl. sp.
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp.
- Condensed Milk – 375 gms. (approx. 1 tin pack of Nestle’s MilkMaid)
- Milk – 80ml (approx. 1/3 cup)
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1/2 tbl.sp.
- Soda Water- 150 ml.
Stepwise procedure to make Eggless Vanilla Cake:-
1) Take butter and Sugar in a bowl and start with the mixing process. Mix it with help of hand beater or electric beater. Beat it until batter is soft and fluffy.
2) Then add the Condensed Milk to the batter prepared in step #1 and continue creaming it till it is soft and fluffy.
3) Take all the dry ingredients i.e. Maida, Baking Powder and Baking Soda and sieve it all together and keep it aside.
4) Add Apple Cider Vinegar to Milk, and then mix this milk to the batter prepared in step #2. Add Vanilla Essence and mix the whole thing well.
5) Divide the dry ingredients into 3 parts and add it to the batter prepared in step #4, one part at a time. Mix it till completely the batter is even and no more flour is seen in the mix.
6) Finally add Soda Water to the batter and fold gently with minimum number of mixes and folds.
7) Grease the 2X8 inch baking tin with butter and dust it with a little flour.
8) Pour the Cake Batter into the prepared baking tray and tap it gently on the kitchen counter. Allow it to settle so that there is no air bubbles in the batter.
9) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees . Once the oven is preheated put the baking tray into the oven and allow it to bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and then bake for another 20-30 minutes. We should check with a knife or toothpick whether our cake is baked or not. To check, insert the knife in the center of the cake and take it out, if the knife comes out clean and dry it means cake is baked.
10) Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. The cake might crumble if you try to take it out when it is still too hot.
11) keep the cake pan upside down and tap it with hand. We can also run knife over the outer edges of the cake to unmold it.
12) Eggless Vanilla Cake is ready to be served hot.
Important Points to be noted in this Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe:
1. Butter used should be at the room temperature.
2. Grease the baking tray well, along the sides and edges as well. Else the cake will tend to stick and might break on unmolding.
3. The batter should be even. Make sure there are no lumps formed.
4. When putting the batter in the tray make sure to tap it well and let it settle evenly. Else the cake will come out almost like a dome on top.
5. If you leave the cake too long at 180°C then the cake will be too hard from top. You can cut out the top layer, incase this happens.
6. If your convection oven’s fan is on top then DO NOT keep the tray on top of a rack. It will make the cake hard from top.