Vegetable Rava Upma recipe is a quick and simple recipe from South India. Rava Upma is made up of Wheat Semolina commonly known as Sooji or Rava. It is one of the quick and easy option to be packed for kid’s lunchbox. The regular Upma is made without vegetable. In this recipe we are using fresh chopped and grated vegetables that makes this breakfast option all the more filling. Vegetable Rava Upma is nutritious because it contains wheat, unlike most other breakfast options that have maida. Vegetable Rava Upma is made by mixing wheat semolina(sooji) and sautéd vegetables accompanied by spices, with richness of Ghee and lemon juice. It tastes savoury and mild spicy.
Vegetable Rava Upma Recipe with step by step photo
Vegetable Rava Upma is a popular South Indian cuisine for breakfast or lunchbox or even evening snack. Upma is very easy to make.
- 1 bowl Roasted Rava/Semolina (sooji)
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter (ghee)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 pc Finely Chopped Green Chilli (hari mirch)
- 1 inch Finely Chopped Ginger (adrak)
- 1 pc Medium Finely Chopped Onion (pyaz)
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Capsicum (shimla mirch)
- 1/4 cup Grated Carrot (gajar)
- 1/4 bowl Peanuts
- 1 pc Lemon juice (nimbu ka juice)
- 3 tsp Salt (namak)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (kali mirch)
- 4 bowl Water (pani)
- 15 pc Fresh Curry Leaves (kari patta)
Take 2 tbsp Ghee in a Kadhai and put it on a gas stove. Let it warm.
Add 1/4 bowl Peanuts and stir fry it till golden brown in colour. Remove it and keep it aside.
We will use the same Ghee to make Rava upma. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add finely chopped green chilli, finely chopped ginger, 15 pc Curry Leaves, 1 tsp Chana Dal and 1 tsp Urad Dal and sauté it for 1 minute. Dal will change its colour to golden.
Now we will add 1 medium size finely chopped onions, 1/4 bowl finely chopped capsicum and 1/4 bowl grated carrot. Stir fry it for 4-5 minutes.
Add 5 bowl water and let it warm.
Slowly add roasted rava from one hand and stir from the other hand. Make sure their is no lumps formed. If there is any lumps formed break it with spatula.
Finally add 3 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1 pc squeezed lemon juice. Mix everything well.
Garnish it with some roasted peanuts. Serve hot in a bowl with coconut chutney.
Stepwise Procedure to make Rava Upma
- We will first start with roasting the peanuts. This will be used for garnishing the Rava Upma at the end. Take 2 tbsp Ghee in a Kadhai and put it on gas stove. Let it warm. Add peanuts to the Ghee.
- Stir fry it for 2 minutes till it becomes golden brown in colour. Remove it in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Use remaining Ghee for making Vegetable Rava Upma. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add finely chopped green chilli, finely chopped ginger, 15 pcs curry leaves, 1 tsp Chana dal and 1 tsp Urad Dal in the Kadhai. Sauté it for few minutes till dal changes its colour to golden brown.
- Add all the finely chopped vegetables i.e. 1/4 bowl capsicum, 1/4 bowl onion and 1/4 bowl grated carrot. We can even add other vegetables such as beans, potatoes, green peas etc depending on your taste and preference. Stir fry it for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add 5 bowl water. Let it warm. Once water is warm start adding roasted rava with one hand and stir it with the other. We need to stir it continuously otherwise lumps will be formed. If there is any lumps formed break it with the spatula.
- Stop stirring when you see that excess water is absorbed and thick consistency is gained. Now add 3 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1 pc squeezed lemon juice. Mix it well with spatula.
- Garnish it with some roasted peanuts and serve hot in a plate. You may serve it with coconut chutney or fresh curd.
Important points to be noted in Vegetable Rava Upma Recipe:
- We can use roasted rava available in market or we can roast rava at home and use it. If rava is not roasted then it is advisable to roast rava and keep it in an air tight container. It will prevent from getting it spoiled due to moisture. We need to roast rava on low temperature until it is light brown in colour. We should use roasted rava otherwise the final outcome will be sticky and gluey after cooking.
- We need to keep stirring rava while pouring it into water otherwise it will form lumps.
- We can add any vegetables of our choice to make Vegetable Rava Upma.
- Try experimenting with the accompaniments with this Vegetable Rava Upma recipe. You can serve it with Coconut Chutney, Curd, Tomato Chutney or even Tomato ketchup for kids.