Matar Paneer Recipe is a famous North Indian recipe. Matar Paneer tastes best with steamed rice, paratha, naan, jeera rice etc. Matar Paneer recipe is instant and easiest paneer curry recipe to make. Perfect for those unplanned guests. In Matar Paneer Recipe, Fresh Green Peas and Paneer cubes are simmered in tomato-onion gravy.
Matar Paneer Recipe with step by step photos
Matar Paneer Recipe is one of the popular North Indian Recipes. Matar Paneer Recipe is simple and easy to cook.
- 200 gm Cottage Cheese (paneer)
- 1 cup Fresh Green Peas (matar)
- 2 pc Medium size Tomatoes (tamatar)
- 2 pc Medium Size Onions (pyaz)
- 1 pc Green Chilly (hari mirch)
- 1 inch Ginger (adrak)
- 15 pcs Cashew Nuts (kaju)
- 2 pc Salt (namak)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder (garam masala)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (dhania powder)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder (lal mirch)
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt Powder (kala namak)
- 1/2 tsp Dry Fenureek Leaves (kasturi methi)
- 2 pc Cloves (laung)
- 2 pc Cardamom (elaichi)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeera)
Take 2 medium size roughly chopped onions, 1 pc green chilly, 1 inch ginger, 2 pc cardamom and 2 pc cloves and grind it in a mixer into fine paste.
Take 2 medium size roughly chopped tomatoes in a mixer and grind it into a smooth paste separately.
Take 15 pc cashews and soak it in a bowl of water. Then grind the cashews into smooth paste.
Take 200 gms Fresh Paneer and cut it into small cubes.
Heat oil in a kadhai. Add Paneer cubes in the oil and fry it till it becomes golden brown in colour.
Remove it on a tissue paper and keep it aside.
Take oil in a pressure cooker and place it over low to medium gas flame.
Add Cumin Seeds. Add Pureed Onion and stir fry it till it is translucent in colour.
Add tomato Puree. Again stir fry it for 3-4 minutes.
Add cashew paste and sauté it for 4-5 minutes.
Add dry spices i.e. 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp haldi powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp Kasturi methi and 1/2 tsp black salt and sauté it for 5-6 minutes.
Now add Green Peas and saute it for 3-4 minutes.
Add 2 cups water and paneer cubes and stir it. Close the Pressure Cooker. Cook it until 1 whistle. Now, switch off the gas.
Number of whistle required depends on the quality of Green Peas.
After 10 minutes open the lid of the pressure cooker.
Garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve hot with Jeera rice, chapati, Naan etc..
Stepwise Procedure to make Matar Paneer Recipe:
- Firstly, we will make onion and tomato puree for Matar Paneer Recipe. Take 2 medium size onion. Add 2 pc cardamom, 2 pc cloves, 1 pc green chilly and 1 inch ginger and grind it into smooth paste.
- Take 2 medium size tomato and grind it into smooth paste.
- Take Cashews and soak it in water. Drain off water when cashew is soft and grind it in grinder into smooth paste.
- Take 200 gms Fresh Paneer and cut it into small cubes. Take oil in a Kadhai for deep frying Paneer cubes. Heat the oil. Add Paneer Cubes and stir fry it till it is golden brown in colour.
- Remove fried Paneer cubes on a tissue paper so that extra oil gets absorbed.
- Take oil in a Pressure cooker to make Matar Paneer gravy and put it on a low to medium gas flame. Let it warm. Then add 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds.
- Add pureed onion and sauté it till it turns translucent in colour. It will take 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Kaju Paste and saute it till 4-5 minutes.
- Add dry spices i.e. 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp black salt, 1/2 tsp Kasturi methi and 2 tsp salt. Saute it for 4-5 minutes till it starts leaving oil.
- Add Green Peas and Paneer Cubes. Mix it well and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook it until 1 whistle. Switch off the gas.
- After 10mins, open the pressure cooker to a tempting aroma of Matar Paneer. Garnish it with some coriander leaves. Serve hot with jeera rice, chapati etc.
Important points to be noted in Matar Paneer Recipe
- We should use bright red Tomatoes for making puree. We will get nice orange colour gravy.
- If you are calorie conscious you can avoid deep frying Paneer Cubes. You can directly put Paneer cubes in the gravy.
- For making rich and heavy gravy of Matar Paneer you can even add fresh cream and milk to the gravy.
- Fresh green peas will taste best in Matar Paneer. If you don’t have Fresh Green Peas at home you can even use frozen Green Peas.